The Camden Waterfront will be busy with a variety of fun, family-friendly holiday activities between now and the end of the year!
The SugarHouse New Year’s Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront shows will return once more to the Waterfront as a cross-city partnership between Camden and Philadelphia. SugarHouse Casino is the primary sponsor of the SugarHouse New Year’s Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront, produced again by Pyrotecnico. In addition to the traditional midnight display, there will also be a showing at 6 p.m.
“The City of Camden is thrilled to celebrate another New Year’s Eve with its sister city, Philadelphia,” said Camden Mayor Dana L. Redd. “The SugarHouse New Year’s Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront represents a unique collaboration between our two great cities and numerous public-private partnerships that are helping to transform our waterfronts into a world-class destination.”
Visitors on both waterfronts will be able to hear the synchronized musical soundtracks accompanying the spectacular choreographed fireworks display. Clear Sound will be setting up three speakers along the Camden Waterfront promenade. KYW Newsradio will also broadcast the soundtracks to both shows, allowing folks to tune into 1060 AM and enjoy the show from wherever they may be. Additionally, CBS 3 will be televising the traditional fireworks show live at midnight, complete with a special pre-show leading-up to the New Year’s Eve countdown
In addition to watching the fireworks for free from the Camden Waterfront promenade, there are many other special events taking place to ring in the New Year:
- Adventure Aquarium is inviting families throughout the region to come down to the waterfront on December 31 to ring in the New Year at its second annual New Year’s Eve Splash. From 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., guests will enjoy family-friendly music and activities, up-close animal encounters, character appearances and a special New Year’s Eve “Countdown” Dance Party with Gill the Shark complete with party hats, noisemakers and confetti canons – all leading-up to the iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks display on the waterfront at dusk (approximately 6 p.m.) from the Aquarium’s scenic Waterfront promenade. Ticket prices are $30 for adults and $25 for children. For more information, visit www.adventureaquarium.com.
- The Battleship New Jersey will be opening her decks for a great view of the fireworks at both 6 p.m. and midnight. A $10 entrance donation will be collected at the door. Folks can enjoy music, prizes, and food and bar concessions available throughout the evening. For an out-of-the-ordinary New Year’s Eve experience, families can spend New Year's overnight on the Battleship as part of their award-winning Overnight Encampment Program. The price is $64.95 per person. For more information and reservations for both opportunities, visit www.BattleshipNewJersey.com, call 1-866-877-6262 or visit the Battleship's Ticket Office.
- Waterfront Restaurant New Year’s Eve Discount: On New Year’s Eve, patrons at participating Waterfront restaurants can enjoy a special 20% discount off their dinner bill. Participating restaurants include: Vitarelli’s on the Waterfront, Market Street Deli and Victor’s Pub. Limit one 20% discount per table or group.
“The SugarHouse New Year’s Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront shows attract thousands of residents and visitors to the Camden Waterfront each year,” said Anthony Perno, CEO of Cooper’s Ferry Partnership. “This year, in addition to the wonderful family-friendly shows, visitors can enjoy special discounts at local restaurants, and new holiday-themed events at Adventure Aquarium, the Battleship New Jersey, and Camden Children’s Garden. With unmatched views and world-class amenities, the Camden Waterfront offers visitors the perfect location to celebrate the holiday season and to ring in the New Year!”
Santa will arrive to kick off the holiday season at the Camden Children’s Garden on Saturday, November 23 from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. The day’s festivities include Santa’s grand arrival, special holiday crafts, tree decorating and a reading of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Fountain Park will once again be a hub of holiday celebrations in Camden. This year, the park will be magically transformed into the waterfront’s Holiday Village for the month of December. Fountain Park, located between Campbell’s Field and the Aquarium, will feature a dazzling 32-foot holiday tree with synchronized LED lights and sound. New garland and lights will also adorn light poles along the waterfront to help brighten walkways during the holiday season.
The City of Camden will also hold its annual Holiday Tree Lighting ceremony on Wednesday, December 11 at 5 p.m. at Fountain Park on the Camden Waterfront. Free hot cocoa and candy canes will be available for all who attend.
A few of the additional 2013 holiday events along the Camden Waterfront include:
· SCUBA Santa at Adventure Aquarium: Starting November 29, discover the magic of SCUBA Santa up-close and in-person as he delights children of all ages diving the Aquarium's 760,000-gallon Ocean Realm exhibit daily. Weekend appearances at 11:30 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.; weekday appearances at 2:30 p.m.
· Letter Writing to SCUBA Santa: Starting November 29 and offered every day during the holiday season, kids will have a chance to share their Christmas wishes with SCUBA Santa by delivering their letters to a special mailbox in the Aquarium’s Ocean Realm.
· Brunch with Santa at the Camden Children’s Garden: Enjoy a delicious buffet brunch, catered by Tortilla Press, with Santa! Brunch will be held on December 7, 14 and 21. Reservations must be made in advance. For more information and advance reservations, please call (856) 365-8733.
· Breakfast with Santa on the Battleship: Come have breakfast with Santa aboard the Battleship New Jersey on Saturday, December 14 at 9 a.m. This fun-filled holiday event includes breakfast served from the chow-line, a photo with Santa, prizes and a self-guided tour of the ship. Seating is limited – tickets are $20 for adults, $16 for children ages 12 and under, and FREE for military families. Call (856) 966-1652 x 107 for more information and reservations.
· Gill’s Holiday Dance Party at Adventure Aquarium: Celebrate the holiday season with Adventure Aquarium’s beloved mascot, Gill the Shark, as he hosts a dance party in the Rotunda complete with music and a light display. Weekend and Christmas week show times at 1:15 p.m. starting November 29.
· FREE Hot Cocoa at Waterfront Restaurants: Free hot cocoa will be available on Fridays from November 22, 2013 to January 3, 2014 to patrons at the following participating Waterfront restaurants: Vitarelli’s on the Waterfront, Market Street Deli and Victor’s Pub. Limit one hot cocoa per person.
· Light the Tree with Bumble at Adventure Aquarium: Listen to the magical story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer with Bumble, the Abominable Snowmonster, as he places the star on top of the 15-foot Christmas tree – making it snow inside the Aquarium! Weekend and Christmas week show times at 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. starting November 29.
· Battleship New Jersey Walking Tours: The Battleship will be open for walk-up tours from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. from December 21 through the 31, with the exception of Christmas Day (December 25).
Information about more fun-filled holiday events along the Camden Waterfront will continue to be released throughout the holiday season. For detailed information about any of the 2013 holiday events along the Camden Waterfront listed above, kindly visit www.candenwaterfront.com.
All of these events are made possible through the generous support of the following sponsors: SugarHouse Casino, Adventure Aquarium, the Camden Children’s Garden, the Camden Special Services District, Cooper’s Ferry Partnership, the South Jersey Port Corporation, New Jersey Department of State, Division of Travel & Tourism, South Jersey Tourism Corporation , and the Parking Authority of Camden City. The fireworks shows are produced by the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation and Cooper’s Ferry Partnership, the City of Philadelphia, Visit Philadelphia, KYW Newsradio and CBS 3.
ABOUT COOPER’S FERRY PARTNERSHIP:
Cooper’s Ferry Partnership is an economic development corporation that facilitates long‐range policy and infrastructure projects for the Camden Waterfront and surrounding neighborhoods, to revitalize the City of Camden as the place to work, live and invest.
ABOUT THE DELAWARE RIVER WATERFRONT CORPORATION (DRWC):
The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation (DRWC) is a nonprofit corporation organized exclusively for the benefit of the City of Philadelphia and its citizens. DRWC acts as the steward of the Delaware River waterfront to provide a benefit to all of the citizens and visitors of the City. The fundamental purpose of DRWC is to design, develop and manage the central Delaware River waterfront in Philadelphia between Oregon and Allegheny Avenues. DRWC intends to transform the central Delaware River waterfront into a vibrant destination location for recreational, cultural, and commercial activities for the residents and visitors of Philadelphia. DRWC will serve as a catalyst for high quality investment in public parks, trails, maritime, residential, retail, hotel and other improvements that create a vibrant amenity, extending Philadelphia to the river’s edge. DRWC is open, transparent and accountable in connection with its operations and activities with respect to the waterfront. Through the judicious use of financing, land acquisition and development capabilities, the Corporation will work cooperatively with city, state and federal agencies to ensure the realization of the City’s vision for the central Delaware River.
ABOUT SUGARHOUSE CASINO:
SugarHouse Casino, named a 2011 “Best Places to Work” by the Philadelphia Business Journal, opened in September 2010 as Philadelphia’s first casino. SugarHouse features 1,602 slots, up to 53 table games, fun and unique dining options, riverfront views and free on‐site parking. The casino employs approximately 1,000 people and is one of 10 operating casinos in Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.sugarhousecasino.com.
ABOUT VISIT PHILADELPHIA:
Visit Philadelphia makes Philadelphia and The Countryside® a premier destination through marketing and image building that increases business and promotes the region’s vitality. For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537‐7676.